So I don’t celebrate Christmas, but I do celebrate family, joy, and massive discounts. Despite my lack of belief in the institution, religious or otherwise, I can’t help but get caught up in the general cheeriness of the holiday season. Growing up in America, you’re conditioned to conform but in this instance, I’m happy to do it!
Here’s a short list of my non-Christmas Christmas traditions:
- I have a list of favorite Christmas songs and know the words to most all (even the ones I hate). I love Wham’s “Last Christmas” and Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas” but I hate the Beach Boys’ classic and Elvis’s “Blue Christmas.”
- I put up strings of icicle lights outside the house just so we weren’t the only ones on the street without decorations.
- We have a family dinner or plan an activity, just because we all conveniently have the same time off.
- We scout the newspapers, flyers and websites for post-Christmas sales together.
- Shopping, lots of shopping…
This Christmas, I hope you have a lovely day filled with laughter and delicious food. May the greedy, capitalistic part of you be assuaged for a while and may your holiday haul be spectacular.